The first European settler in the area was Henry Leiblin, a Halifax baker who received five hundred acres in 1767 and named his home “Leiblin Manor.” Today, Leiblin Park subdivision is located where Leiblin’s home once stood. Captain William Spry, a British military engineer, purchased three lots of Leiblin Manor. He employed soldiers under his command to clear a large field, where he operated a farm. It was from references to Spry’s farm and Spry’s fields that the name Spryfield evolved.
The Spry property was purchased by George MacIntosh, who had also bought part of present-day Harrietsfield. He began to divide up the land and sell it as small lots. The MacIntosh Run, as well as a new subdivision in Spryfield, are named in his honour.
William Sutherland bought a lot of Leiblin Manor in 1816. He set up a large farm and donated a half-acre of land to the Anglican Church for a church and school. His granddaughter, Elizabeth Sutherland, was Spryfield’s first schoolteacher.
The Kidston family home at 62 Rockingstone Road was built in 1825 and is now a registered heritage property. The famous Rockingstone, a large glacial remnant weighing 450 tons and measuring 100 feet in circumference, is located on the Kidston property. The Rockingstone has been a tourist destination for travellers since the late nineteenth century. Queen Victoria’s grandson, George, who later became King George V, saw the Rockingstone in 1883 and was served tea at the Kidston homestead.
The community is situated on Herring Cove Road about six-and-a-half kilometres from the Armdale Rotary. Today, Spryfield is a growing community with a library, shopping malls, and other business enterprises.